As mothers, we are always on our toes. Day in and out we endeavour to keep the love, care and happiness flowing in our household. Since becoming a parent, one thing I have learnt is that to lead an easy and happy life one needs to adopt good habits and stick to them too. Moreover, if a mother is fit, healthy, and happy she can model good habits to her kids too.
Let me share some of the healthy habits that help me sail through motherhood, and I hope other mothers find these helpful too.
- Having “me time” for good mental health (1): Motherhood is quite taxing, and to unwind I take time out to do things I enjoy. I have certain interests that I pursue which don’t involve my kids. I go to a spa for a pampering session, love to meet my friends over coffee, enjoy reading a book, or if nothing else, go to the nearby supermarket to run errands alone. In short, I do things that keep me happy.
- Eat breakfast: It’s a known fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day (2). Although it’s difficult to squeeze breakfast in during the morning madness, I don’t skip it. A good breakfast should have a combination of carbs, proteins and fibre. (3) Some breakfast recipes, if I may suggest, that are filling and can be prepared quickly are eggs, avocado toast, broken wheat porridge, upma, cheela, poha or even fruit salad.
- Maintain inner strength: Immunity is the buzzword these days. To stay well, a balanced diet is vital, but it’s difficult to eat a balanced diet every day to get all the vitamins and minerals one’s body needs. Upon the advice of my family physician, I started taking Limcee Vitamin C Chewable Tablets 500mg to supplement Vitamin C intake in my body, so when it comes to immunity I #BoostImmunityWithLimcee. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that helps protect the body against colds, flu and other illnesses (4). And when I am fit, I can give the best to my family too.
- Exercise: For me exercise is not about losing weight, it’s more than that (5). Staying physically active gives my body a boost of energy, makes me feel better, sleep better and keeps the stress at bay. That’s why I always find time to attend my online yoga sessions, go for a morning walk to soak up Vitamin D, and play outdoors with my kids. Moreover, if we want our kids to practise fitness, we need to be their role models too.
- Go for regular health check-ups: I don’t take my health lightly. Even if it’s a small illness, I don’t think “it’ll get fine on its own.” I go see a doctor for an immediate consultation. I also sign up for regular health screenings – mammograms, pap smears, cholesterol checks and dental check-ups that can help detect potential problems at the right time (6). Regular health screenings help improve the quality of life.
These are my healthy habits to live happy and stress-free. Do you also practise them?