Life on arrival of a baby , whether it’s a boy or a girl, changes a lot. Though both require the same nurturing from day one, it’s quite obvious parents feel curious about certain things if they are blessed with a baby boy.
Here are some pointers and tips to prepare you for your new born boy.
Let’s start with Must-Haves: Clothes, toys, diapers, feeding equipment, car seat form some of the essentials for a newborn.In the above mentioned essentials , it’s only the options (not) available in clothes which concern parents.
But fret no more ; with so many online sites dedicated to kids essentials, it’s no longer a problem to find that cute romper or onesie for your baby boy. Moreover, you can also choose gender-neutral colours to add to your little man’s wardrobe.
Speaking of clothes , make sure the garment meet all the specifications: Soft, comfortable, easily stretchable and a room to place diapers snugly. And to speak of trends, dressing your new born in organic clothes is fast catching up. Even experts agree “since organic baby clothes are devoid of cotton pesticides, it helps reduce the chances of newborn’s skin getting irritated or developing a rash.”
And one brand which I can personally vouch for is BerryTree, whose organic cotton clothes I have been using both for myself and my younger daughter; every item is super soft and comfy. They have vast collection for newborns too.
Now coming to the skills: Feeding , bathing, putting baby to sleep are some of the skills which you can hone with experience and under the proper guidance of your paediatrician, or with the help of an adult in the family; but one skill which , as a parent of a boy , you should be skilful enough is to deal with the boy’s private part.
New parents are not adept in cleaning of their baby’s penis . It’s a best idea to let your doctor show how to keep the area clean and thus free of any irritation or infection.
Another important tip worth mentioning here is to point your little man’s penis downwards while changing diapers to avoid frequent diaper leakage and changing clothes. And whenever you want to give diaper-free time to your baby, make sure you use organic cotton nappies/langots which is ideal for baby’s sensitive skin.
Since we are at it, it doesn’t harm to elucidate on what else you need to know about your newborn.
- It’s quite normal for a newborn boy to have little breasts for some time , which is nothing but the swelling of breast tissue . So you need not worry as swelling subsides after a while.
- You might get a little shock when you notice erection in your newborn boy. But this again is quite normal and many a times it’s just a sign of overfilled bladder.
- If you want to go for circumcision, it’s always a best idea to visit your paediatrician and discuss this option.
- Your newborn baby boy should have two testicles down in the scrotum; ask your doctor to examine the same. If undescended till six months, a simple surgery can fix the problem. Some more Info in general:
- Your baby will be developing all his senses and reflexes right from the birth, so always help him develop these skills.
- It’s perfectly fine if the baby loses weight after birth. After a week or two he will start gaining weight.
- Your baby’s skin is quite sensitive and delicate, therefore it’s not a good idea to give him a bath with soap n water every day. Once or twice a week is enough for new born.
- The umbilical cord heals on its own. No need to apply anything on it.
- Here’s a fact ; delivering a baby boy takes long and they are born heavier than girls.
- Last but not the least, always clear your concerns about your newborn with your paediatrician.
Hope these tips are helpful in preparing you raising a happy healthy baby boy. Any other tips for the care of baby boy you want to add, please mention in the comments:)